While methadone itself does not eliminate all potential problems of pregnancy, a comprehensive methadone maintenance treatment program can greatly reduce the possibility of sickness or even death in the mother and child.
Being on methadone during pregnancy can:
- Help you to escape from a drug-seeking lifestyle
- Reduce the risks of contracting HIV, hepatitis and other infections
- Prevent erratic blood levels of drugs that put the unborn baby through dangerous withdrawal
- Improve your nutrition, leading to healthier weight and condition of the newborn
- Allow you to prepare for the birth, take baby care classes and begin homemaking
- Reduce medical complications both before and during childbirth, allowing a healthier newborn – and that is our goal
Information taken from www.atforum.com.